Ukraine adopts the National Action Plan for Non-Communicable Disease Prevention, Control and Health Promotion
On July 26, 2018 the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine approved the National Action Plan for Non-Communicable Diseases (available in Ukrainian), prepared by the Ministry of Health of Ukraine in line with the Sustainable Development Goals. For the first time ever, Ukraine makes comprehensive efforts to prevent non-communicable diseases (NCDs) – medical conditions and diseases caused by a combination of genetic, physiological, environmental and behavioral factors.
Non-communicable diseases (NCDs) are responsible for over 80% of all deaths in Ukraine. These are mainly the circulatory system diseases, neoplasms, chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases, and diabetes. According to the latest WHO data published in 2018, life expectancy in Ukraine is 67.6 male and 77.1 female, and total life expectancy is 72.5, which makes it evident that life expectancy in Ukraine is much below that of the rest of Europe.
Many NCDs can be prevented by reducing the risk factors, i.e. addressing diet, physical inactivity, tobacco and alcohol use and making the places we live into health enabling environments. A healthy lifestyle is the key to preventing NCDs and premature mortality.
Together with other Ukrainian ministries and departments, the Ministry of Health of Ukraine is launching a long-term national campaign for the prevention and control of non-communicable diseases. It starts with the development and implementation of information policy and large-scale awareness raising programs on major NCDs and their risk factors (tobacco use, physical inactivity, the harmful use of alcohol and unhealthy diets).
The implementation of the National Action Plan for Non-Communicable Diseases in line with the Sustainable Development Goals will allow Ukraine to achieve the following targets:
- by 2030, a one-third reduction in risk of premature mortality from cardiovascular diseases, cancer, diabetes, chronic respiratory diseases and other NCDs;
- at least a 10% reduction in the harmful use of alcohol;
- a 10% reduction in physical inactivity and insufficient physical activity;
- a 30% reduction in mean population intake of salt/sodium;
- a 18.5% reduction in prevalence of current tobacco use in persons aged 15+ years;
- halting the rise in diabetes and obesity;
- a 25% reduction in road traffic accident death rates.
These policy areas are reflected in the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement, therefore Ukraine has adopted the National Action Plan for Non-Communicable Diseases in the context of the public health reform implementation.